Thursday, January 22, 2009

Blog carnival


Kate and I were talking about this the other day, about how we both love the 'wrong' dogs: Staffordshire Terriers, Dobermans, etc. I've become more and more interested in the groups which rescue them, and the challenge of saving them from breed specific legislation (and the ignorance/bigotry that fuels it). To this end, we've decided to host a monthly blog carnival, focusing on BSL, no-kill shelters, rescue organizations, and the hypocritical organizations like PETA and the Humane Society who claim to support animal rights, but fail to support animal welfare. I'm aiming for the first one to be on Feb 16. If you want to submit a post, you can do so through this link; just click 'submit an article' and it will be sent to my e-mail address.

8 comments:

Caveat said...

Is the topic pretty open, or did you want to focus on just one of the aspects of 'our little problem' you've mentioned? BSL, Animal Liberation, Shelter killing, or??? is what I mean.

Let me know and I'll try to get the ball rolling in the rebel camp.

And thanks for stopping by Caveat.

Angela said...

I want it to be pretty open: BSL, shelter killings, no-kill shelters, rescue groups, personal accounts of people owning 'dangerous' breeds, etc. There will probably be some fine-tuning as we go on, but this seems like a good start.

Caveat said...

OK.

what do you want to call it?

Save the Dogs
carnival or Barkers Carnival or Carnival of the Canids or something?

also blissfully single, by the way.

Angela said...

How about Carnival of Barkus, after my favorite krewe?

Caveat said...

Carnival of Barkus it is.

Angela said...

Quick note, just to clarify: I don't want to be associated with the animal rights movement, or animal liberation. I think there's a very big difference between animal rights and animal welfare, and I don't support the former.

KCTbiglake said...

Calling it Carnival of Barkus, does not that limit it just to dogs, What about cats, horses etc? I have a long time family friend that recues horses as well as dogs & cats at their ranch in California.

Angela said...

Kent has a point. I don't want it to focus on dogs, I am a self-described crazy cat lady, after all. :)