Thursday, February 12, 2009

Getting in gear

I really haven't taken advantage of the freedom being single affords me. Once I started college, I just let myself be consumed by it, putting my head in the books at the beginning of each semester and not looking up until finals week ended. Now that I'm in my final semester, and finally have a light course load, I actually have free time and a little extra money to do some fun stuff (and not-so-fun stuff).

The fun: I had my first Krav Maga class tonight, and lemme tell you, I am not in as good shape as I thought. Part of my New Year resolution was to not drive back and forth between work and classes (they're close enough I can walk, and it takes the same amount of time), and earlier today I noticed all that walking was starting to pay off. I don't know what I was thinking; the warm-up before the training whipped my butt. I was actually seeing spots at one point! Once we started training, though, I was able to really enjoy it. Kit and I (she started classes a couple weeks before I did) are going to Academy tomorrow to buy some wrist guards/gloves, because the punching is really hard on your fingers and wrists.

The not-so-fun: In other news, I was finally able to accept a CASA assignment! For those who don't know, a CASA volunteer is a Court Appointed Special Advocate who represents children in foster care. They're sort of like social workers, except CASAs only represent one child/sibling group at a time, and stay with them until their case is closed. They are also appointed by a judge, and do not work for the social services offices (which is good, since I pretty much despise what our nation's 'family services' branch has become). I became certified back in September, but for several reasons was unable to take on a case until now. I'm assigned to two sisters, and will meet them Tuesday!

It's exciting to be at a point where I can do things that matter to me, instead of things I need to do to get through the semester.

Volunteering is a very important issue to me. If something outrages you, or you think something needs fixing, don't ask someone else to do something about it; go do it yourself. I studied foster care abuses for about 8 years before I learned of CASA, and realized there was a small way I could help. I give 10% of every paycheck to charities I think will do the most good, most effectively (you can see several of them on my other blog, Literate Gypsy). On that note, I'll end this post with a challenge to singles: your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a place in your area where you can volunteer. Even if it's only for an hour a week, someone, somewhere needs your help.

2 comments:

KCTbiglake said...

I seem to remember that your Aunt Paula was married with a young child when she was a CASA volunteer. Volunteerism is very important for everyone to do, whether they are single or attached.

Red Rover said...

I am so proud of you for being a CASA volunteer! I am sure it will be one of those life shaping experiences.