Thursday, April 9, 2009

*crickets*

So, I guess I should post something, since Kate has been doing her level best to keep this place moving without me.

Isn't she cheerful? She posts about all the wonderful things you can do if you're single, the bright sides, and all that good stuff. Me? Not so much. See, I spend most of my time either talking to people at work, or eavesdropping on conversations going around me, and most of the time all I can think is How on earth do y'all stand to be around each other?

In the three years I've been in college, I've met one guy I had anything even remotely in common with, which is part of the reason I don't date*. I often wonder about people who date because they think they're supposed to. Meaning, people who are dating even though they know a relationship isn't going to be formed by any of these dates. Are they actually enjoying it? If yes, why? If no, why do they keep doing it?

Sorry, as you can see from this and my previous posts, dating culture fascinates and baffles me. I would love to have an opportunity to have a handful of habitual daters chronicle their lives for me: one month of business-as-usual, followed by one month of no dating. Just to see how they would react to the lifestyle change.

I think I may have had a point to all this, but it's the last day before spring break, and my train of thought derailed. Opinions? Thoughts? Explanations of what good dating has ever done for anyone?

*the other part is that I genuinely enjoy being single. As Kate points out, you can do a lot when you're not entangled in romantic relationships.

No comments: