Thursday, April 22, 2010

Noms for groups and singles alike.

The Common Room blog is participating in a recipe share with three other blogs, and they're all very interested in what recipes their readers use to feed large numbers of people. Generally speaking, I am the least of the cooks in my family (I didn't really start cooking real meals until I was at least 18), but I do cook well, and have a few favorites I go to when we're feeding a lot of people, the main one being jambalaya:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
olive oil for browning the chicken
1 package sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 fifteen oz can diced tomatoes
1 chicken boullion cube
1 cup water
1/2 cup rice

My jambalaya usually doesn't include celery or parsley, the first because I don't really care for it, the latter because I don't think it makes a difference.

First: chop all your veggies, put them in a bowl and set aside.

Second: Cut up all the chicken in to bite size pieces. My recipe says to season with creole seasoning at this point, however I have always thought the bell peppers add enough natural spice, so I just lightly salt/pepper the chicken. Put it in your pot to brown in the olive oil.

Third: While the chicken is browning, cut up the sausage into quarter or half inch slices, and add it to the chicken.

Fourth: Once the chicken is brown, add the veggies, mix well and saute for about 10 minutes.

Fifth: Add the tomatoes, parsley, boullion cube, and water. Let cook over medium heat for about ten minutes.

Sixth: Add the rice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low/low-med, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring at least once during this time.

You may need to add a little water when you start the rice, if there isn't enough water for the rice to be submerged in. By the time the rice is done, the liquids should be mostly gone. As is, this recipe will feed about 6 or 7 people without leaving leftovers. You can easily expand it to fit your family's size by adding to the main ingredients (chicken, sausage, rice).

Why is this a good recipes for singles? Because a single woman living alone can live off it for about a week, without having to do too much other cooking, as I discovered in the wake of Hurricane Rita.

Check out the other recipes being shared at the Common Room!

3 comments:

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

Thanks for the link-love- and the recipe. That looks really tasty!

I bet you could freeze it without cooking the rice and then defrost it and cook as described on the day you wanted it. And... a single gal could make up a batch of this to share with a new neighbor, feeding a moving in party, take to a mama with a new baby, share with a new family at church.

Kimberly @ RaisingOlives said...

Thank you for participating in the 'cooking for a crowd' link-up.

My husband loves jambalaya, but I've never had a great recipe for it, thank you!

Angela said...

Thanks for the comments, hope y'all enjoy the recipe!

Headmistress, all good suggestions, unfortunately we haven't had many of those opportunities arise. It's one of the reasons I miss living on a military base, there's no sense of community in our area.