Friday, April 30, 2010

Not what was advertised

"19 Things You Should Never Say to a Single Person" turns out to be more like nineteen things you should never say to someone who has just been dumped. Out of the handful that did seem to be aimed at true singles, only a few of them seemed to fit the 'never say that to me' level of obnoxiousness the article seemed to be going for:


-So, why are you single? Well, there are a multitude of reasons, most of which are too long and detailed to get into in a making-small-talk conversation. Not that it matters, you don't actually care about why I'm single, you're just being nosy.

-Wow, I wish I was single and in your shoes! Why? Aren't you happy in your relationship?

-Some guy is going to come along and ruin your career/life plans. This one just confuses me. If you give up something you've been planning to do for a relationship, presumably you would only do it for an awesome guy. Just because you want to do something now doesn't mean you'll always want to do it.

-But you're so pretty! Why don't you have a boyfriend? Because looks aren't everything?

I've noticed a distinct lack of sites and articles out there for people who want to be happy single. Everything I've found so far is about how to kick things up a notch in the dating world or how to move your casual relationship to a more serious one (but not marriage, because marriage is rushing things for some reason). I do have a book I'm planning on reviewing here, called 'Flying Solo.' It's a travel book recommending places for single women to visit, so we'll see how that goes.

No comments: