Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May the Fourth be with you

We (Ginny and I) are big fans, and are happy to be participating in International Star Wars Day. I will happily be bombarding my Facebook friends with Star Wars quotes via my status updates, and generally encouraging people to get their geekitude on. If you've already seen the movies, it's time to start on the books (known as the Expanded Universe). The EU ranges from some of the best to some of the worst books I've ever read, but the caliber of the good authors keeps me coming back.

"They came for Han and Leia in the quietest hour of the night, rushing into their bedchamber and leveling blasters before the two of them could stagger out of bed. Han stared into the bright light affixed to the rifles. 'What is the meaning of this?' he asked. [...] The leader of the intruders, only a silhouette behind the lights, answered, 'Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, you are charged with falsification of iidentification, smuggling, entering Aphran space on flase pretenses, and crimes against the state.'
'Is that all?' Han offered them a dismissive wave. 'That's only a couple of hours worth of crimes.'"
---------------------------------------------
Jag: Would you be offended by a personal question?
Kip: That seems unlikely, go ahead.
Jag: Why is Jaina Solo so mad at you?
An irrational flicker of irritation shimmered through the Jedi Master. "Oh, that. It's a long story with a number of sordid chapters. Why don't you ask her yourself?"
"Two reasons. First, I don't wish to intrude upon personal matters. Second, I suspect that you did resent that question," observed Jag, "and I suspect that sending me to Jaina is your way of ensuring that I'm suitably punished for my presumption."
---------------------------------------------------------
"Mara Jade!" Luke called. "What did I do to deserve the honor of your presence?"
"You don't deserve it, Skywalker," Mara said, "but I came anyway."
------------------------------------------------------------
"Every living thing must continue to learn until it dies. Those who cease to learn, die that much sooner." Luke Skywalker.
---------------------------------------------------
"Lando got back from Coruscant alive, so being Calrissian he's having a party for family and friends. And friends of friends, and anyone who looks interesting." -Jag Fel
----------------------------------------------------
"I'll need communications access to Talon Karrde, Danni's device, a starfighter squadron, maybe a Jedi or two, and a lot of brandy. I can't stress the brandy part enough." Lando
---------------------------------------------------
"What's your name, little fellow?" the shop owner asked.
The words THAT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS appeared on the screen. IN ANY CASE, YOUR FACIAL FEATURE SET SUGGESTS THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE TO RETAIN MY NAME FOR MORE THAN A NANOSECOND. IT IS EVIDENT THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TAUGHT TO REPEAT SOUNDS YOU HAVE HEARD AND THAT YOU UNDERSTAND NEITHER THE WORDS YOU HEAR NOR THE ONES THAT EMERGE FROM YOUR MOUTH.
---------------------------------------------------
"Pray me you are not one of the gods," Rapuung muttered. "If you are, death will be tedious."
-------------------------------------------------------
"It has to do with this bizarre concept called democracy..." -Nom Anor
--------------------------------------------------------
"Despite your adventures, I fear you have insufficient experience of depravity." -Vergere

No comments: